Re: Cost of goods, no OM content was [OM] Olympus and OM

Subject: Re: Cost of goods, no OM content was [OM] Olympus and OM
From: "lion1" <c1000s@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 12:23:33 -0500
If you want OM content, don't read this.

Simon E. wrote,

<<We get ripped off by the importers for everything - cars, motorbikes,
cameras, electrical stuff etc., it fair makes me spit.>>

Don't throw your bike in the bush!
Simon, Is it the importers who create unreal prices or the unions and the
tax man?
(uh oh, politics)
When I lived in Australia in 1987 till 1990, I found all the things you
listed to be very expensive by U.S. standards.  I get the sense that
Canadians and people in the U.K.
have similar problems.
I found that most products had to be at least partly assembled in OZ or the
duty was sky high.  Even then an $8000 Holden (Nissan) was $17,000.  Scotch
was bottled in OZ etc...to meet the rules.
This and the fact that sales tax was added on at the wholesale level which
then was doubled at retail so the shop keepers (that was me) could make up
the loss all added to the cost.
Now add VAT if you have that.
If this is not the case please let me know so I don't perpetuate a myth.
Of course the importers (a middle man) will also add to the price.

Charlie Loeven
Largo Florida