[OM] 21mm f2.0 Quality

Subject: [OM] 21mm f2.0 Quality
From: kdunn@xxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 03:07:37 -0400
Well I just got back my first shots from my recently acquired Zuiko 21mm
f2.0. I just
love this lens. Before I bought the lens I had all kinds of concerns. Photo
books
cautioned that lenses wider than 24mm were extremely hard to handle. List
members babled on about the poor quality of the 2.0 in comparison to the
f3.5. List members who didn't even own the 2.0 said the f3.5 was the
superior lens.

Well B.S. on both counts. I took available light photos indoors and
outdoors at a recent family gathering and this lens provided the most fun
I've had in a long time. The photos were crisp an sharp and the wide angle
took enough in to show the interaction of family members. The perspective
gave the photos an almost three dimensional character and the color was
superb. Until recently I mostly used Vivitar lens I purchased in the early
80's. Well no more! The color and contrast of a zuiko puts a Vivitar to
shame. Camera maker lenses cost more because they make fewer compromises.

And as far as zuiko's "old" designs. More B.S.; the pictures I hang on my
cube walls at work have taught me that zuikos must have a character all
there own. I hung pictures from my Nikon and my Olympus side by side in my
cube at work. My co-workers repeatedly comment about the zuiko photos
always asking "Gosh what kind of camera do you have these pictures are sharp?"
They are always pointing at the pictures from the Olympus when they ask the
question.

Of course they think it's the camera because they all use a point and shoot
camera and don't know any better. But they aren't blind. They see a
difference.