Re: [OM] OM2 vs IS100?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2 vs IS100?
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 09:35:09 -0500

>I have only recently joined this list.  I am most impressed at the OM FAQ and
>the amount of traffic on the list.  I have a couple of questions which I hope
>list members may be able to help with.
>
>1. I have owned an OM2 for a number of years with a Zuiko 50mm f1.8
>   lens.  The lens aperture has always been a bit sticky, i.e. slow
>   to open up again after a shot.  Is this common?

I recently had a similar problem with a Mint 50mm F1.4 Zuiko I bought
of Ebay and was able to fix it.  Another member had a similar problem
with a ( I think ) 35mm F2.8 he had bought on Ebay.  I posted what I
did to fix the problem and he did the same thing and fixed his lens
as well.

Look on the list archives for a complete explanation but what it boils
down to is that grease or oil gets on 2 "rings" that rotate over each
other in the lens.  The solution is to get at these rings, clean them
and put the lens back together.  It does not involve actually
taking any of the optics pieces apart -- just portions of the mechanism
that control maximum F-stop and stopping down the lens.  This
ASSUMES that there is no OIL on the aperture blades, BTW.

Alternately, you might just want to pick up another 50mm F1.8.
I'll bet you could get one in the $25 range from members on this
list if you said you were in the market for one.

Mark Hammons