[OM] 21mm f2.0 Quality

Subject: [OM] 21mm f2.0 Quality
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 18:50:58 +0100
kdunn@xxxxxx wrote:

>Well I just got back my first shots from my recently acquired Zuiko 21mm
>f2.0. I justlove this lens. Before I bought the lens I had all kinds of
concerns. Photo
>books cautioned that lenses wider than 24mm were extremely hard to handle.
List
>members babled on about the poor quality of the 2.0 in comparison to the
>f3.5. List members who didn't even own the 2.0 said the f3.5 was the
>superior lens.
>Well B.S. on both counts. I took available light photos indoors and
>outdoors at a recent family gathering and this lens provided the most fun
>I've had in a long time. The photos were crisp an sharp and the wide angle
>took enough in to show the interaction of family members. The perspective
>gave the photos an almost three dimensional character and the color was
>superb. Until recently I mostly used Vivitar lens I purchased in the early
>80's. Well no more! The color and contrast of a zuiko puts a Vivitar to
>shame. Camera maker lenses cost more because they make fewer compromises.
>And as far as zuiko's "old" designs. More B.S.; the pictures I hang on my
>cube walls at work have taught me that zuikos must have a character all
>there own. I hung pictures from my Nikon and my Olympus side by side in my
>cube at work. My co-workers repeatedly comment about the zuiko photos
>always asking "Gosh what kind of camera do you have these pictures are
sharp?"
>They are always pointing at the pictures from the Olympus when they ask the
>question.
>Of course they think it's the camera because they all use a point and shoot
>camera and don't know any better. But they aren't blind. They see a
>difference.

I also had quite a few similar experiences. Reading tests and following
resolution discussons on this list can be fun, but it's out in the real
world, under real conditions, where the real test is. There is something
about Zuiko lenses, call it colour rendition, call it bokeh, call it
whatever you like.
Most lenses of today are enginered by the same software, be it Canon, Nikon,
Sigma or whatever, which makes all lenses (within same price-range) having
the same characteristics, more or less. But the older Zuikos were made under
different conditions with what we'd today call antique and non-standardized
computer systems. My very unscientific guess (I have no proof at all for
this) is that the Zuikos are the last of a dying breed with very special
characteristics and should be enjoyed as long as possible.

Ulf Westerberg