Re: [OM] 21mm f2.0 Quality

Subject: Re: [OM] 21mm f2.0 Quality
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:17:01 -0700
Warren;

Is that all??? <G>

You're right, I should try something like this if I can spring loose the time, I
will.
I'm not quite sure how to do tests which will measure contrast.  I usually tape
colored new or magazine print to the wall for lens (sharpness) tests.  I can
certainly do that for the 21s.  Use this for close focusing.  Could take the
existing star tests for infinity, at wide apertures.

If there are any suggestions for better tests, I'm open to input.

george

*************Here's the lens test results I posted couple weeks
ago.*****************

Hello.  For those who asked, here's what I did.

I tested several lenses for wide-open sharpness/lack of distortion
using a star field as the test subject.  The star field for most tests
contained the very bright object, Jupiter, as well as more modest
magnitude stars.

Results: (Blank is did not test)   All lenses MC unless noted.
                   Wide Open                        One stop down
21/2 -           Some Coma                            Good
21/3.5-(SC)  Slight Coma
28/2 -           Slight Coma and
                    very slight blue fringing            Good
35/2 -           Some Coma                            Good
50/1.2 -        Coma
50/1.4 -        Coma,slight blue fringe             Good
50/2 macro - Good
85/2 - (SC)   Some blue fringing
90/2 macro - Good.
100/2 -          Slight coma

The 50/2 and 90/2 were the only lenses that proved sharp and
distortion-free when used wide open.The 50/2 macro wide open was
slightly better than the 50/1.4 at F/2. The distortive effects were gone
for all practical purposes on all lenses when closed down one stop.

The 21/3.5 was much better than the 21/2 wide open.  However, the 21/2
at F/2.8 was better that the 21/3.5 at F/3.5.

The worst coma was exhibited by the 50/1.2 and 50/1.4

The blue fringing, of course, is chromatic aberation.  I was less
surprised to see it on the SC 85/2 than on the MC 28/2.

The coma was seen mainly on the very bright objects - Jupiter and a
bright star of magnitude 1 or so.  Lesser magnitude objects showed no
visible coma (thru an 8x loupe.)

That's it. Hope this is useful. .

take care

george