[OM] lastest stroke of luck

Subject: [OM] lastest stroke of luck
From: svtbrad@xxxxxxxxxx (Bradley Mabb)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 17:07:27 -0700

    Last week I had a customer come in with a camerabag full of goodies he'd
 bought at a garage sale the day before. He got the whole thing for $50. Being
 that it contained a working Canon AE with a 50mm 1.4 lens among other things,
 he made out quite well.
    Among the "other things" was an Olympus Winder2. I went to check it and
 found the batteries had split and swollen to the point where I couldn't get
 battery holder open. He was going to chuck it, so I offered him $2.00 for it.
 I told him I had Olympus equipment and, although it was more than a good chance
 the winder was worthless, I figured it was worth $2.00 to take it home and see
 what I could do with it.
   After attempting a few different approaches, I was finally able to get the
 holder open and out., Once the batteries were removed, there was
 some acid damage, though not as much as expected. I slipped in a battery holder
 from one of my other winders and was pleasantly surprised to find the damage
 did not find it's way into the internal workings of the winder.
   As for the battery holder, I still need to see if it can be cleaned up
 enough to work. If not, the holders are still available. In any event, it was
 well worth the $2.00 gamble.

                                                    enjoy,
                                                      Brad