Re: [OM] Tamron 17mm/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 17mm/3.5
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 23:12:48 +0200
wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am offered a Tamron 17mm/3.5 by another list member.

> Do any of the list-members know anything about this lens?

There has been at least two incarnations of this lens. My -limited-
knowledge is, that they are of the same optical design, but differ in
the mechanical make.

> - How is it built optically and mechanically?

I haven´t done any lenstest, but I could check how they mechanics where
build.
There is an early all-metal version (model 51B) with three build in
filters (80B, 81B, Y2, from cataloge) the lens was multi coated, it had
an segmented metal lens hood which was covered on the inside with black
velvet to avoid reflections. From this detailed description, you may
value how impressed I was from the appeariance of this lens.
The other, actual one (model 151B), is covered with, the today
inaviodable, plastic. There are no build in filter (82mm, expensive),
but comes with an lensshade.
My knowledge about the optical performance of this lens is just hersay:
ColorFoto and fotoMagazin tests rates this lens among the same group as
the Tokina SL (Vivitar) 17mm, Tokina ATX 17mm (96 and 91, should be the
actual model). One poster at one NG said, that he had tested all
variants of this lens, which showed no much variations in the, moderate,
optical quality.

> - How about light fall-off and image degradation to the edges?

Light fall off is an iminent problem of all super wide angles. Most
prominent seen on uniform surfaces (sky, white washed wall), less
homogen backgrounds (clouds, for example) will cover this. Stoping down
will improve fall off and optical performance.

> - What is a fair price for this lens in good condition? described by seller
> : "there are no lens
> scratches, no dents etc on the lens, but it has been used, hence 9+.  it
> is in excellent shape though. optically, the glass is clean, no cleaning
> marks, scratches, etc." Asking price was $200,- including shipping. Offer
> at first impression was $150,-.

If it is the solid metal version, and considering, that it is at least
as good as the Vivitar I once had, I would give it a try. This superwide
angles provide a special view, you need to test it some times to get
used to it and to decide if you like it.
Consider, that this lens could be used not only with Olympus cameras,
but with many different lens mounts, this gives you a much biger market
if you decide, that you don´like it and wants to resell it.
The price of US$ 150 seem to me ok, this type of lenses sells normal for
a minimum of DM 300 in Germany (3rd party), so you most likely get your
investment back if you decide to sell it.

I would say this is a good buy.

Richard