[OM] Non-Oly Question

Subject: [OM] Non-Oly Question
From: Ted <tedconley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:26:09 -0700
Can someone explain to me the means of calculating the proper
flash settings (F-stop, distance of camera &/or flash to subject)
when the focal length is varied?  When I first started shooting
(an OMPC w/a 50mm lens and a Vivitar 283), I would simply use the
flash unit's settings as indicated as a function of a given
F-stop (i.e., at F16 I should be 10 feet from the subject).  No
problem here.  And I also understood that if I added on my 2x
teleconverter, I needed to add 2 stops more light.  But how can I
calculate the proper F-stop and distance to subject for ANY given
focal length.  I'd like to figure out the proper settings for my
Zuiko 28 and 135 mm lenses as well.

Also, is the distance suggested on the flash unit the maximum
distance only, so that you could get as close as you wish and the
flash's sensor will tell the flash to cut-off at the proper
amount?  Or is it the suggested distance as opposed to a mere
limit on the amount of distance to subject?  I want to take some
pic's with a 50 mm macro at a few inches from the subject and I'm
not sure if I'm just gonna end up overexposing my subject.

Ted.