Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #520

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #520
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:37:49 -0700
My reference is an article entitled "Really Right Stuff for Photography
Afield".  I am uncertain of the original author, my copy is froma person
named Dave Swager.  Anyways, following the discussion on lens resolution in
relation to aperture, the article states:

"However, film resolution has also been shown to vary appreciably with
aperture, and the resolving power is always highest when the light source
area is minimized, to retard dispersion.  This presents a troublesome
dichotomy: Best lens resolution is achieved when shooting wide open, but the
best film resolution is a f/22 (or smaller)!  Obviously, compromise is the
answer, and that is probably why most of the published ("on film") lens test
for top quality glass indicate that f/8 is optimum, with f/5.6 and f/11 not
far behind.  So-what you learned about "optimum aperture" wasn't all
wrong-but blame was certainly misplaced."

The balance of the article takes an academic turn and deals with some of the
math behind these assertions.  I will be happy to provide hardcopy of the
article to the interested reader.

expressionless,
John P

Joseph Albert <jalbert@xxxxxxx> asked