Re: [OM] OM-F/OM-30

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-F/OM-30
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 23:06:51 EDT
<<
 Does anybody have any experience with this camera? What are the differences
 from the OM-G/OM-20? They look almost the same. I understand that there is an
 in-focus trigger mechanism that couples with a motor/winder, and that it
 somehow couples more closely with the 35-70 AF lens. Does this imply an
 internal focusing sensor? I don't see them very often on the used market, and
 was wondering what the going rate was.

 Thanks in advance,

 Paul Schings
 Coventry, RI >>

You are correct.  There is quasi-autofocus with the OM-F and a winder/motor.
The OM-F will trigger the shutter electronically when the lens is in focus.
There's a slight catch, however.  Although I've made no prints but in playing
with the camera, you have to turn the focusing ring at just the right speed.
It seems to anticipate correct focus as you near the point of correct focus
when you focus the lens.  If you turn the focusing ring too slowly, then the
shutter will fire prematurely.  If you focus at medium speed, it seems to fire
the shutter exactly when the green light goes on indicating correct focus.

As to the special 35-70 I've seen them for about $100 which would have turned
my OM-F into a giant point and shoot so I declined. This lens has a box
attached underneath to hold 4 AAA cells and the motorized focusing apparatus.
Unless you are an AF historian, I would pass on this combo.

As to the OM-F itself, it is a fine camera along the lines of the OM-G that
also gives correct focus designation.  It has manual shutter speed around the
lens ala Olympus and a manual averaging metering system.

Warren Kato