Re: [OM] Tamron 17mm/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 17mm/3.5
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:40:42 -0800
Wiliam Wagenaar wrote:

>I am offered a Tamron 17mm/3.5 by another list member.
>
>Do any of the list-members know anything about this lens?
>- How is it built optically and mechanically?
>- How about light fall-off and image degradation to the edges?
>- Does it display straight lines near the edges still straight?

Look up the excellent "The Lens Book" by Roger Hicks and Frances
Schultz.  The have much praise and lots of examples taken with
this lens.  As someone had mentioned, there are two different
versions of this lens.

>- What is a fair price for this lens in good condition?
>Asking price was $200,- including shipping. Offer at first
>impression was $150,-.
>Keep in mind that we are both list-members, hence FAIR price.

B&H has it new at $369, and used at $269.  I assume that both
prices are for the later version (the earlier version is usually
cheaper).  Tamron now offers rebates on its lenses, but I dunno
whether the 17/f3.5 is included.

Good luck,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA