[OM] minimum F280 voltage; excessive current drain

Subject: [OM] minimum F280 voltage; excessive current drain
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:07:51 -0700
"The F280 is much more sensitive to the minimum battery voltage as the
T32, so you will not be able to use them completely. The voltage problem
is more serve with NiCds..."

Agreed. You don't get many shots out of NiCds. Most battery-operated
devices are designed to work at 1 volt/cell, but the F280 is different.
Its cutoff point is so close to the nominal 1.25 volts of a NiCd cell
that the F280 poops out much too quickly.

I have not yet tried recharageable alkalines, so I can't comment.

My F280 is in storage (I just moved), but as far as I know the power
switch is "hard" -- no current is drawn when the switch is off. (You can
check this by putting an ammeter in series with the battery.) If there
_is_ current drain when the switch is off, then you may have a dirty or
defective switch.