Re: [OM] 85/2 MC vs SC and other stories

Subject: Re: [OM] 85/2 MC vs SC and other stories
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 98 16:52:56 BST

>Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:43:25 EDT
>From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [OM]  85/2 MC vs SC
>
>Hi Angel:
>
>> Is there some difference concerning flare,resolution, etc.
>>  85 f 2 SC ( 6 els. / 4 grps.)  v/s  85 f 2 MC ( 5 els. / 4 grps.).?
>
>If someone wants to lend me their MC version, I'll put them up against a flare
>test, as well as my topo map test (as recently outlined).  I've always been
>curious how well my bargain SC example really is.
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

Hello all,

The incantations have brought me back - MC or not MC.  Have been a bit off
colour for some time due to physical diffractions when it was found that I
was SC.

Still owe the list a report on my USA trip during which I met Gary in Las
Vegas and later in the wilderness of Utah.

Have to say that a certain person sold me a lens that I had been hunting
for some time, the 200mm f5 SC.  Have taken a few shots with it and found
delightful sharp and contrasty images, even when pointed up at a dragonfly
in a tree with sky visible there was little evidence of flare.  Bokeh
testing so far has been limited but people and bird portraits wide open
show great promise.  Before you get excited, the birds were pidgeons on the
roof opposite my bedroom......  I am a happy man with the lens.

Recently had a look through various lenses in my OM kit and have many SC
lenses which I would not part with.  The 85 f2 constantly carried with an
OM4 is SC and one of my favourite lenses.

Flare resistance is bound to be better with MC, however the quality of the
image is also changed.  Doris has waxed lyrical about this subject in the
past.  If you shoot a lot with bright light sources in the frame then MC is
probably better.  I have shot a lot of fire sculpture photographs using a
standard 50mm f1.8 and then printing to 3feet x 2feet - MC was important.
I hope somewhere that the results of that long 50mm discussion on the list
is archived or in the OM FAQ - haven't looked recently.

Anyway, good to be back and have read the last few digests but will have to
bin the rest amongst the 1000 unread messages waiting for me here.

Ken - congratulations!

PS Have played around with a couple of the top range digital cameras, one
at work here and one which someone brought along to an art event last
night.  Great pieces of kit.  The owner of the second was explaining how he
caught the sunset just right at Stonehenge by holding the camera over his
head and watching the LCD backscreen.  Took a few shots until he got it
right and erased the rest freeing up space for more shots.

I spent the next half hour showing him an OM2N and explaining that his
Leica was made by a Chinese company on contract to Minolta in Hong Kong and
that the hair trigger shutter release on his R4 was a feature rather than a
fault....  He's visiting the local dealer to have a look at the OM kit over
the next few days having decided that it will take him several years to buy
a range of primes for his Contax. Another convert :-)

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com