Re: [OM] macro flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] macro flashes
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 05:56:12 -0400
At 08:05 AM 9/30/98 +0000, you wrote:
>According to the funny little cartoons on my data sheet for the 38 & 20 mm
>macros you can't use a T8 2 flash with a 20mm or the POL filter for the T10
>1 (presumably both lenses).
>I am confused.
>
>Please Denton which flashes are suitable for which macro lens, I am
>acquiring the T10, I have the T28, I hope to get the T8. I have all the
>lenses. I thought the T8 seemed the best option.
>
>When can the POL filter be used, sounds like a useful idea (to eliminate
>the ring refllection you get).
>
>Many Thanks
>Richard

My experience makes me wonder if in fact the manual is just flat-out wrong
in this case. On my 20mm, the T10 didn't work at all, while the T8 gave
beautiful results. The T8 emits the light straight up and around (at a
90deg angle from the lens axis) and bounces it into a reflector, which
curves the light into the subject. The T10 shines the light straight out.
In the case of the 20mm, the lens is too close to the subject to receive
any light from the T10. This is my experience anyway.

I don't have a cross-pol filter, although I have one on the way, and look
forward to figuring it out the old-fashioned way (shooting some film)...

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com