Re: [OM] quality of instruction manuals

Subject: Re: [OM] quality of instruction manuals
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:43:20 +0200

lion1 wrote:

> Hear, Hear.  I am completely in agreement.  All manufacturers should have 2
> sets of instructions packed with the product.  One is the Gateway 2000
> poster type that let me set up and run my first computer in 1/2 hour with
> out skipping a beat.
> Then there should be another set to explain just how the thing works.
>
> This seems to be especially needed with cameras such as the OM 3 and 4 which
> I see so many posts like; how does this really work? and, can I do this with
> it?

Maybe this persons should read the OM-4Ti or OM-3Ti manual first?

This manuals are exactly composed as you sugest, first the general part,
how to attach the lens, put in batteries, etc. folowing a more in depth
explaination of the meter and technical concepts of the camera. The only
thing I would change is the page format, a little bit biger like the
first OM-1 manual, this would improve readability. Poster size would be
to big for such a small, mobile device like an OM. Yashica provides an
poster type manual with there P&S T4, it´s awful to use.

Manuals are no guide books on general concepts of photography, such
things would only clutter the manual.

William Sommerwerck wrote further:

> However, if this comes to fruition, it could mean that, over the next
> few years, most companies will obliged to start writing their manuals in
> clear, simple English.

I would prefer clear, simple German. ;-)

> Any comments on this? How do you guys/gals feel? I resent paying several
> hundred dollars for a product that comes with a manual that not only is
> poorly written, but has incomplete, confusing, and grossly INcorrect
> information about the product and its use.

Olympus failed once in this respect with there "euro-version" of the
OM-2SP manual, 4 languages simultanious. Another example of this
"babylonic" style is the F280 manual, a confusing cluttering of
languages and typefaces on an very small format.
But Olympus learned with there Ti manuals.

Regards

Richard