Re: [OM] Oly Varimagnifier for Astro focussing

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly Varimagnifier for Astro focussing
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:29:08 EDT
In a message dated 9/28/98 9:56:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sean@xxxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< 'm wondering how useful the Varimagni is for fine focussing for
 Astro use?? There are 2 settings 1.7x and 2.5x I think. Would that be
 sufficient for focussing stars?? Apparently Vixen Telescope makers got
 a 6x magnifier but it's a separate item that can't lock onto the
 viewfinder...thus its has to be physically held next to the eyepiece
 making handling it and focussing it a little tedious.

When focusing on stars, I find that any extra magnification helps.
Astrophotography was the original reason I purchased my Varimagni. I think
there are better third party items available now, though. One was discussed
here recently, a device that lets you use a 1-1/4" telescope eyepiece to get
extremely high magnification. I understand it mounts somehow on the tripod
thread under the camera. Check the archives.

I find that I use the Varimagni more now for the right angle capabilities and
the ability to rotate it. I use it *all* the time when I have the camera on a
tripod. I'm fairly tall (6'1"), and need to extend the tripod *way* high to
get comfortable (maybe I should just find a taller tripod). With the Varimagni
I can set the tripod somewhat lower (more stable) and not end up with a
backache. It's was also useful on the OM-1 and OM-2S for it's diopter
correction, but now that I wear contact lenses this isn't an issue for me (in
fact it can get annoying because it's so easy to change this adjustment
accidentally).

In all, I find it a very useful accessory for all different kinds of
photography.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI