Re: [OM] Women

Subject: Re: [OM] Women
From: SPeirce <SPeirce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:46:23 +0100
Cc: SPeirce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Richard Dale wrote:

> I've just realised, there are no women on the list. Does that mean
> zuikoholism is a male affliction or just photography in general. Yes I know
> there have been a few famous women photographers
> about the same number as women composers.
>
> Do we have to hide our purchases of OM gear from our wives. Is photography
> a right brained activity. Any theories.

Just wanted to let you know that there are women on this list, but
perhaps we don't participate as actively.  I have noticed, however, that
there do seem to be more men inclined toward Olympus which is curious
since it is a relatively small camera (how about that for a
stereotype?).  Perhaps its because the equipment seems to be exquisitely
crafted?  I just re-entered using Olympus after a fifteen year Nikon
hiatus and love both camera systems albeit they are very different in
handling and results.

I teach Art History in an Art Department at a University in Colorado and
have been pondering the right brainedness of photography lately.  Since
I am both an academic and an "artist" I seem to be caught in a strange,
somewhat unacceptable to academia, middle-ground and it seems that my
brain is somewhere in between as well.  After twenty years of
photography and teaching, I tend to "see" more often than "ponder" and
at times, in teaching, for example, it's difficult to conjure up the
appropriate words for the images in my head or on the screen.  That's
also what's holding me back from producing a book with photographs
(though I've written "academic" articles).  Any suggestions?

Susan Peirce