Re: [OM] Women

Subject: Re: [OM] Women
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:49:29 -0400
At 09:46 AM 9/30/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Richard Dale wrote:

> After twenty years of
>photography and teaching, I tend to "see" more often than "ponder" and
>at times, in teaching, for example, it's difficult to conjure up the
>appropriate words for the images in my head or on the screen.  That's
>also what's holding me back from producing a book with photographs
>(though I've written "academic" articles).  Any suggestions?

That seems to be the curse of being an academic. One must be able to
analyze and describe every image, with historical and cultural references
to boot. Was the photographer gay, female, or other oppressed minority?
Ipso facto, somewhere in each and every photo, lies the key to his/her
sexuality, oppresive childhood, ad infinitum.

My suggestion? Publish your book without any text. Let the images speak for
themselves.

Me? When I go out with camera, I do so with no pre-visualization. If I see
something that moves me, I aim and shoot. As often as not, I know at the
moment of decision why I am shooting, and more often than not, I fail in
capturing on film what caused me to raise my camera.

They say that the greatest baseball players are only successful 1/3 of the
time. I suppose it's the same for photographers.

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com