Re: [OM] Shopping (for 135/f4.5 macro)

Subject: Re: [OM] Shopping (for 135/f4.5 macro)
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 00:24:32 -0800
Foxy wrote:

>On holidays I went shopping.
>[snip]
>A new 135mm f4.5.  It had been there about 10 years.  The price tag was
>$936.  Some advertised this lens excellent for $300, $500 with tube.
>These prices are Australian dollars.

These prices are not entirely out of line.  B&H lists the 135/f4.5 macro
lens new for US$545, and used in 9+ condition -- for US$409.  There is no
question that the OLY macro glass got pricey.  IMHO, the main reason is
that there is virtually no competition left from other manufacturers,
and so OLY feels free to charge through the nose for their macro gear.

Btw, if anyone needs the 135/f4.5 macro lens, I have a new one for sale,
in shopworn factory box, with factory packing, original unique lens hood,
original softcase, and unfilled paperwork.  The asking price is a paltry
US$375.  Pls contact me off-list if interested.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx