Re: [OM] Women

Subject: Re: [OM] Women
From: "Richard Dale" <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:38:03 +0000

 (Embedded
 image moved   SPeirce <SPeirce @ prodigy.net>
 to file:      30/09/98 09:46
 PIC23268.PCX)

Please respond to olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:   olympus @ Zuiko.sls.bc.ca
cc:   SPeirce @ prodigy.net

>Just wanted to let you know that there are women on this list, but
>perhaps we don't participate as actively.

This is a very thoughtful post, we just need a greater variety of
opinions/points of view, rather than just how to replace a screw.

> I have noticed, however, that
>there do seem to be more men inclined toward Olympus which is curious
>since it is a relatively small camera (how about that for a
>stereotype?).  Perhaps its because the equipment seems to be exquisitely
>crafted?

Yes it is. There is some fatal attraction in the design, can't put a finger
on it, thats goes beyond the mere photographic functionality.

>I just re-entered using Olympus after a fifteen year Nikon
>hiatus and love both camera systems albeit they are very different in
>handling and results.
Welcome back to the fold!  The Nikon professional camera bodies are solidly
built, I don't like the flange on the lens.

>I teach Art History in an Art Department at a University in Colorado and
have been pondering the right brainedness of photography lately.  Since
I am both an academic and an "artist" I seem to be caught in a strange,
somewhat unacceptable to academia, middle-ground and it seems that my
brain is somewhere in between as well.  After twenty years of
photography and teaching, I tend to "see" more often than "ponder" and
at times, in teaching, for example, it's difficult to conjure up the
appropriate words for the images in my head or on the screen.  That's
also what's holding me back from producing a book with photographs
>(though I've written "academic" articles).  Any suggestions?
Try attaining a meditative state, possibly by using a mind machine (theta)
this may help the flow of creativity, I'm sure that all ideas surface from
the unconscious in that state, the eureka phenomena. This may induce a flow
of words.

Could collabrate perhaps with a writer, someone in tune with your ideas, a
prodigy or student perhaps. Ghost writer?

Maybe if the subjectmatter is one with which you're really in tune you will
be able to wax lyrical.

I really think that a photographic volume should have an intellectual text,
otherwise its merely a throwaway coffee table book, how many times can you
look at just a picture book. People are interested in what the photographer
thinks, its a pity we don't know more about the personal ideas of the
famous photographers (H CB etc). People in the future would like to know
about you.

Having said that I would avoid the pretentious claptrap that attaches to
much so-called "art Photography", eg in Aperture Magazine. Try to think
what was going through your mind when you took the picture, why, what
attracted you to the image, perhaps make notes at the time.

Thes are only suggestions, I don't know what will work for you.

OK provocative, much of the NY photographic art scene is overated trash,
just a money making scheme to con rich collectors. Photos of rabbit
entrails, a certain dog breed.....its the emperors clothes........time will
tell

 ? F.I.GROUP PLC