Re: [OM] Warm Beer...

Subject: Re: [OM] Warm Beer...
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 98 09:34:56 BST
>Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:04:48 +0000
>From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [OM] Warm Beer...
>
>>You mean all this time you didn't know that OM cameras are metaphors for
>>old British Motorcycles?
>>

>I hope they're not!  old Brit bikes have great charm, but were killed off by
>the Japanese competition because they were (with very few honourable
>exceptions) slow, unreliable and leaked oil incessantly.  It was their
>refusal to improve in the face of competition which caused it.  Not quite
>the comparison one might hope for.
>
>Simon E.

Simon,

The slow, unreliable, oil leak stories are urban myths perpetuated by
owners with poor mechanical skills having bought 20 year old machines for
peanuts because they needed a rebuild  :-)

In the same way that a 20 year old OM needs a CLA.....

Hmmm, the refusal to improve in the face of competition - well if you have
a good product ;-)

Where is the OM5?

The Japanese dumped large quantities of smaller motorcycles here in the 60s
at probably below cost and cleaned up.  We ignored them  They did the same
thing later with larger machines.  Good marketing strategy vs poor
management and no investment for the future in the UK, result, no more UK
motorcycle industry.

The Italians effectively banned the import of foreign motorcycles through
import duties and managed to keep their industry alive for a bit longer.
Laverda are hanging on by the skin of their teeth, Ducati is owned by
Cagiva (Spanish), and Aprillia not too sure about.....

My favourite camera is still the OM2N, I love my old Nortons, but if
someone offered me a 900SS Ducati I would be tempted to part with one....
On the other hand wouldn't take a Camedia for the OM2N.......

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com