Re: [OM] Flash quandry redux

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash quandry redux
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:39:38 -0500
>Thanks Paul.  I realize some of my questions may be rudimentary and
>a bore to some 'photo-snobs.'

Ok, to de-snob myself...  Ted, your question about ISO settings on the
Vivitar flash was pretty good.  To the snobs who have figured it all out,
photography is essentially a lot of complex math that we thrive on.  If you
doubt that, then please try explaining the Zone-System to me.

Your question had to do with multiple flashes on a single roll of film.  If
you want to be super exacting about it all, sure, mess around with the ISO
settings to your hearts desire.  (if you really want to be exact, you'll be
using flash meters, etc).

But, what I would have done in your situation (and by-the-way, print film is
quite forgiving to slight errors), is to set your flash's calculator dial to
the film speed (ie 200).  If the dial says to use F5.6 as your setting, drop
one more stop for a double exposure, two stops for for three.  Therefore,
your first two shots would be at F11 and then the brighter shot would be at
F8.

The fact that the flash's calculator dial is limited to ASA/ISO 400 doesn't
mean much.  If you are using ISO 800 film, use the 400 setting and offset by
one stop.

[snob mode=re-engage]

Ken N.