Re: [OM] Bikes, Pommies was Warm Beer...

Subject: Re: [OM] Bikes, Pommies was Warm Beer...
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 21:17:48 +1000
No OM content. Delete now.

About ten years ago I was rebuilding a XR250. I went to the bike shop to get
rings etc. The bloke told me he had just finished working on an old English
bike vintage 1930s. An old guy brought it in. The cylinder head and block
were cracked. This was one of those short run models put out them. The bike
shop bloke was agast. Where to get spares?

He chased around a bit and found the bloke who made it originally was still
alive, so he rang him. The original moulds were still in the back shed,
along with the forge etc. So he made the parts and sent them by air.

Cost $30 plus freight. For a bike that was over 50 years old with a short
run. Anfd he had 4 year old Jap (not J A Pennington!) bikes out the back for
months, unable to get parts.

Foxy

>       They leaked oil because they were around long enough to do so. Same
with
>   Harleys. Japanese bikes may have speed, but they're basically disposable
>   bikes, ie low milage. you won't find many 60's Japanese bikes around and
>   don't think I ever saw a 50's Japanese bikes, unlike Triumph, BSA,
Norton,