[OM] De-snobbing, was brief Zone System explanation

Subject: [OM] De-snobbing, was brief Zone System explanation
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:04:35 -0500
>> It was _bad_ question, because it showed that the questioner didn't
>> understand one of the simplest and most basic principles of photography
>> -- the relationship between exposure and film speed. The math is trivial
>> -- simple multiplication or division.

>How does that make it a bad question?

In my feeble attempt to de-snob the list a little, the above responses were
posed.  I agree that a basic technology/technique knowledge is important
inorder to squeeze the last bit of capability out of you and your camera.
But, the finest portrait photographer I've ever met didn't know an ISO if it
bit her in the nose.

The knowledge of the relationship between exposure and film speed is pretty
basic, but if you are a slave to your meter, it's irrelevent.  Most people
select a film type based on characteristics, not necessarily speed.  (you
think I like shooting Velvia at 50?).  Same thing with lenses--you select a
telephoto or wide ange lens because of composition, rarely because of
F-range.

What Ted was trying to do was "program" his flash/camera with adjusted ISO
settings so he wouldn't have to "think" about offsets while shooting.  Back
in the days when I used a Yashica 35GSN, I had to do that as there wasn't
any manual mode.   What he was trying to do, although simple in concept, was
made difficult as the flash's calculator dial didn't have the range to allow
"programming".  I presented him with an alternative method where you just
leave the ISO setting alone and offset with the F-stops.

Programming the equipment, or manually offsetting--both accomplish exactly
the same thing, but the mental approach is different.  Sometimes a simple,
alternative approach is hidden from us as our mindset is directed to a
particular approach.

Do I dare say it?  When Ted asked the question, I had to do some serious
thinking.  Lets see, 200x3, is it 520, 600, 800?  If hard pressed, yes, I
can figure this out.  But I've gotten lazy.  I do one of three things:  Wing
it, look it up in the Kodak Professional Photo Guide, or use my flash meter.
When lacking the reference resources, I just wing it.  I know through
experience what I can usually get away with.

If you think the relationship between exposure and film speed is difficult
to teach--try explaining to someone how -3dB + -3dB = 0dB.

[re-engaging snob mode]

Ken Norton