Re: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 18:02:35 -0500
At 05:49 PM 10/2/1998 +0000, you wrote:
>Brad wrote:
>
>>Japanese bikes may have speed, but they're basically disposable
>>   bikes, ie low milage
>
>Sorry, this is nothing but blind prejudice.  Japanese bikes are engineered
>to a level not known on any other - British, Italian or American.
>Disposable is the last word I'd use.  Try asking dealers about reliability,
>warranty recalls etc, you may be suprised.  Check despatch riders'
>workhorses too.
>
>You won't find many Jap bikes from before 1962 or so, which was when they
>started kicking complacent Brit bike arse at the TT (the Honda company
>wasn't even born until 1948).  And they have continued to do so to this day.
>With cameras, cars and bikes, their only rivals in engineering and this kind
>of manufacturing are the Germans, IMHO.  And I'm not complaining - I've got
>some great Japanese cameras, a solid German car, and great British hi-fi.
>
>Simon E.

Hi Simon,

I can tell you are a fair-minded and unprejudiced person, so I believe you
won't take this the wrong way:  "Jap" is quite offensive in some parts of
the world.  I believe you intended it with both affection and respect.  But
you will get gut reactions you don't intend to elicit.

"Nuf said, and butting out now.

Best wishes,

Joel