Re: Was [OM] Re: warm beer now "Names"

Subject: Re: Was [OM] Re: warm beer now "Names"
From: MorrisMini@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 10:17:00 EDT

<<Hi Simon,

I can tell you are a fair-minded and unprejudiced person, so I believe you
won't take this the wrong way:  "Jap" is quite offensive in some parts of
the world.  I believe you intended it with both affection and respect.  But
you will get gut reactions you don't intend to elicit.

"Nuf said, and butting out now.

Best wishes,

Joel

I suppose technically  speaking, the abbreviated name of a country to identify
a citizen or as an adjective to describe products, lifestyles, or philosophies
of said country "shouldn't" matter.  Aussie, Brit, Swede (even "Yank" which
sounds like it should be derisive, doesn't it?) and others are certainly used
for instant identity.  It is unfortunate that the wartime slur of "Jap" has
seemingly continued to have the stigma that should have dissipated long ago.
If it was acceptable, it would save speech syllables and typing fingers, but
maybe the Japanese would rather be a  bit more formal in their self
identification anyway.  This is a touchy subject, but maybe some of our
Japanese members would clarify things.  Is this something that the Westerners
just think the Japanese despise, or is it really offensive to them as the 21st
century looms?  I think I know the answer, but.......

-Tim "Pollyanna" Clark