Re: Was [OM] Re: warm beer now "Names"

Subject: Re: Was [OM] Re: warm beer now "Names"
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 14:14:46 -0700

Winsor Crosby wrote:

>   This is a touchy subject, but maybe some of our
> >Japanese members would clarify things.  Is this something that the Westerners
> >just think the Japanese despise, or is it really offensive to them as the
> >21st
> >century looms?  I think I know the answer, but.......
> >
> >-Tim "Pollyanna" Clark
> >
> It offends me. Aside from the Japanese members of the list, I am sure that
> it offends the Japanese-American people who were interned in the U.S.
> during WWII and who had their property stolen. I am sure it offends the
> children of those people whose inheritances were taken  under the guise of
> patriotism. I don't know why you think the slur should have dissipated any
> more than any other hurtful name that is associated with injustice and
> injury.  Are you going to argue that since slavery has been abolished for
> 130 years that no one should be offended by those old racial slurs?
>
> Winsor

Windsor

You offend me.  Who the xxxx are you to presume to speak for the Japanese
Americans
on the list?  Or any Japanese?  And your concern for the internees touches me.
Do
you by any chance have similar concerns for the Australians (Aussies) who were
subjected to live medical experiments by the Japanese (Japs)?  How about the
American (Yanks) victims of Pearl Harbor and their families whose LIVES were
taken,
not just their stinkin 'inheritances', have you heard about the British (Brits)
victims of the Bataan Death March, the Rape of Nanking???? ad nauseum.

Why is it that only one of the slang terms above offends your petty little
sensibilities?

Shut up and read a history book that doesn't portray America, Britain and
Australia
as the forces of evil, you moron.  And try to remember that, while names can't
hurt
ya, sticks and stones and surprise attacks by dive bombers can.

george