Re: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 12:25:13 -0700
On 4 Oct 98, at 8:40, gma wrote:

> Volkhart Baumgaertner wrote:
>
> > Yo george,
> >
> > on Sat, 03 Oct 1998 14:22:34 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> > >I doubt vibrations are much of a problem.  Of course, a little extra
> > >cushioning
> > >around the camera bag with a sweater won't hurt.
> >
> > I know the PC 800, and all the jokes about it. :-)
> >
> > I'm glad to hear that your experience with the OM equipment not being
> > adversely affected/damaged by the typical vibrations on the bike agrees with
> > mine. Although that makes only two of us, this sure is better than one. :-)
> > I always thought that just may be I had only been lucky so far, and usually
> > felt some concern each time I entrusted one of my beloved Oly treasures to
> > the trunk (45 liters volume, mounted on the luggage rack) or one of the side
> > cases, though I also use the sweater trick.
> > I find the Stylus quite handy for shots taken during brief stops, when it
> > would be too much hassle and take much too long to get the OM out.
> >

> Volkhart;
>
> Sounds like a nice setup. Just keep it wrapped with that sweater!
>
> A stylus would be a great addition to my collection.  Maybe I'll get one for
> my
> daughter? Yes, that's the ticket, then maybe she'll let me borrow it?

I've carried my OMs for years in a lightly padded shoulder case on weekend
backroad outings, which usually means 300km+ of rough to very rough dirt
roads, while it sits on the floor or cupboard in the van. So far the only
problems are abrasion on surfaces which aren't carefully packed to avoid
contact with another lens, etc. My two oldest Zuikos have suffered loose
focus rings, but these are both >20 years old, so I doubt that vibration had
much to do with it. (and they were easily fixed and now behave like new
again.)

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright