[OM] Re: lens hoods / 9x12 paper

Subject: [OM] Re: lens hoods / 9x12 paper
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 10:20:21 +0000
Charlie wrote:

>I think the problem is the viewfinder.   Most cameras Don't show 1000f the
>frame. Oly shows 97%.  This is another reason I stuck with them.  The
>darkening could be at the very outer corners, which you would see on a slide
>at full frame.

It is much more difficult to see vignetting in the viewfinder than on the
slide, even if you have 100%.  Vignetting is also more of a problem when
stopped down to a small aperture (f16 or 22), which makes it even more
difficult to see.  I was caught out using my 24mm, uv and hoya polariser
with the Oly hood.  I have since bought an Oly polariser (which is quite a
bit slimmer) and have removed the uv filter.  No problems. I was on top of
Bla Bheinn, one of the highest peaks on the Isle of Skye and was so hit by
the breathtaking view that all sensibility departed from my head!  If you
want to test it, photograph a plain subject, such as a large white piece of
card, on slide film.

>How many people use the whole negative or transparency to print?
>What are your favorite print proportions?

full frame, 10x7 mostly.  I have just started using Ilford 6x4 postcard
paper, it's great - I use them to make cards for friends' birthdays etc.

BTW, Ilford MG4 is listed as being available in 9.5x12" here in the UK.

Simon E.