[OM] Repairing an OM1, and a alkaline meter mod.

Subject: [OM] Repairing an OM1, and a alkaline meter mod.
From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Oct 98 09:43:27 +1000

I just bought an OM1 with a faulty meter for $20 AUD(About12 USD) ,  I was
hoping it was just a bad meter ground.  It looks like the camera has been
"Recalibrated" to use alkaline cells.   This recalibration involved poping
the ASA faceplate off and replacing it in a different position,  for example
1600ASA was really 1000ASA etc.    The camera came with an alkaline PX625 A
in it.

The other problem is that the lense coupling ring binds and the meter is
also reading low.   For example I set it to 1600 ASA and I barely get a
reading,   The meter is responding to light because the on off switch makes
a difference.    However the readings should be about mid way at the longest
exposure setting,  this does not happen.

 I suspect the that the meter strings have either been tampered with or are
not in their correct positions. Actually I am not sure about the tampering,
the take up lever did have the charactersitic "Opened" up marks but
everything else in side shows not markings.   There is a reasonable amount
of rust on some of the screws though.

Has anyone had any experience working on the strings,  is this a nightmare
job?    As I bought the camera intending to use it to learn about repair
techniques I am not worried about risking it for this purpose, nor is time a
real consideration.....

Stuart Goggin