[OM] price increase

Subject: [OM] price increase
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 07:26:38 -0700
I was disappointed to hear -- both on this group and from Olympus
directly -- that Olympus is going to raise the price of Zuiko lenses.

I realize lenses are not cheap to manufacture, and when the demand is
limited the setup costs for a production run cannot be amortized over as
many items. But Olympus is shooting itself if the foot.

What is the point of making one of the world's great cameras -- which is
the flagship of _all_ your photographic products -- when it and its
lenses are so expensive that hardly anyone can afford them? If anything,
Olympus should be lowering their prices to encourage sales. Increased
sales would help keep the prices _down_.

A company cannot stay in business if it doesn't make money. But simply
making money should not be the first and only goal of a business.