Re: [OM] Any advice for a novice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any advice for a novice?
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:14:34 EDT
In a message dated 10/7/98 1:07:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lpencer@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< My 8th grade daughter has plans to become a professional photographer.  She
is
 interested in attending CSSSA and Brooks.

 She seems very serious, but kids do change their mind.

 I purchased her an OM-4 with a 50mm olympus lens (with one "e") and a Zuiko
 zoom (to 180 ).  Was this the right SLR for her?  I hate to ask, but would a
 Nikon F2 have been better?  Would a more current OM be worth the money at
this
 stage? >>

IMHO, the OM-4 is a great camera for someone learning photography. It is
reliable (as long as you don't have the dreaded circuit problem), and provides
an excellent manual metering system. In particular I've found the spot
metering has been a great tool for teaching light and exposure. If you trust
her to take good care of it, I think it's a great choice.

As far as a more current OM, what do you mean? An OM-4Ti? Not really that much
different from the OM-4. The OM-2000 may be a good choice for a beginner, but
the OM-4 gives much more room to grow. Probably more useful to you if she
loses interest, too.

One question: Which Zuiko zoom are you referring to?

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI