Re: [OM] Any advice for a novice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any advice for a novice?
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 23:11:40 +0200
Rand E. Tomcala wrote:

> In my opinion, the best thing that could be done for a budding future
> photographer would be to provide an OM1.  The differential in funding
> between the cost of the OM4 and the OM1 going into film and processing
> materials or cost.  It is like using calculators in school, there is no
> problem with it as long as the individual already knows and understands
> how to do the problem and then the calculator removes drudgery.  I
> should not be used as a crutch for lack or understanding and knowledge,
> so it is with photography and automation.
>   Anyway, that's the way that I see it.
> Rand E.

I agree that a manual camera like the OM1 is a great tool for learning
photography, but compared the most "modern" wiz-bang super auto cameras,
the OM4 is still a very good choice. Just leave that lever on the left
side on manual and don't worry too much about the multi spot meter in
the beginning.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"