Re: [OM] Away for a week.

Subject: Re: [OM] Away for a week.
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 21:44:04 -0700
On 7 Oct 98, at 19:43, Gary Schloss wrote:

> Shawn Wright wrote:
>
> >I will be away from Oct 8 - 18th, in case anyone is trying to reach me.
> >I trust that the list will not self destruct in my absence...
>
> I wouldn't worry -- this list is remarkably resilient.  in the last
> 2-3 years, it has survived multiple flame wars, as well as several
> inter-continental moves (from Iowa City, IA to Perth, Australia to
> Victoria, BC), and it seems to be as lively as it has ever been.

Maybe a bit too lively at times... poor old Zuiko's going to need another
upgrade soon, in order to get the search up to date...

> >We'll be staying in Whistler for most of the time, which will hopefully
> >offer some good photo op's.
>
> Whistler... what a beautiful place!  I've never been to the Northwest
> in the Fall.  Do you guys get the same colorful display of foliage
> the (North American) Northeast is justly famous for?  Have a great
> vacation (probably too early for skiing, huh?)
Yes what a beautiful place it was... 20 years ago! It is now yuppie heaven,
and probably makes Vale and Aspen look pretty ordinary by now. The
houses around Whistler are quite ridiculous, especially since many of the
multi-million dollar ones are empty 50 weeks of the year...
We're only going because it's available and close (time share); we couldn't
actually afford to ski there. Last time we were there, it was Nov 1, and had
just opened for skiing - about 6" in the village over the weekend. For skiing,
we have Mt Washington on the Island, which gets way more snow, fewer
people, and half the cost...

But the surrounding area is quite beautiful, and it doesn't take long to escape
the village of Whistler, which I hope to do, weather permitting. For fall
foliage,
I'm not sure, I doubt it will match the east for colour, but I may be
pleasantly
surprised. There are very few natural growths of deciduous trees around here,
except for Garry Oak and Arbutus. (which happen to be two of my favourite
trees).
OM content:
After reassembling my OM-10 fixer upper, I checked the meter against my
4T and other OM-10 on a grey card. It read one stop low (the 4T and good
OM-10 were within 1/3 or so), so I think I will skip the slide testing until I
can
check it out further.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx