Re: [OM] Photo stores

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo stores
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 22:03:43 -0800
Volkhart Baumgaertner wrote:

>as my trip to the States is approaching this might be a good
>time to ask the list for suggestions as to photo stores or other
>Oly-relevant places/events that a zuicoholic should not miss.
>Any advice or hints will be highly appreciated.
>The places I will get to are:
>
>Long Island (Amagansett)...

Well, there isn't much photographic happening at the East End of LI,
although with the proper equipment you may be able to (a) get lots
of commercially valuable shots of celeb's; or (b) burglarize several
magnificent collections of photo gear. :-)

However, the rest of LI is the unofficial capital of Photographica
in the US.  In addition to our Mothership's US headquarters (in
Melville), LI also hosts N*kon USA (also in Melville), C*non USA
(in Lake Success), Tamron/Bronica USA (in Farmingdale), Sigma USA
(in Ronkonkoma), etc.  AFAIK, all of the above must be admired
from afar -- no visitors are allowed.

However, there are several large dealers of used photogear on LI.
I would recommend the following:  Bill Cameta (in Amityville),
Woodmere Camera (in Lynbrook), Brooklyn Camera Exchange (in Rock-
ville Centre), and Ken-Mar Camera (in Great Neck).

Btw, our esteemed Mr. Zuiko.com, aka John H. is also located on LI
(Huntington?).

Have a good trip,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA