[OM] Olympus Vs. Other...

Subject: [OM] Olympus Vs. Other...
From: Dan Medley <dmedley@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 02:14:51 -0700
Recently, I purchased an OM-4T that I had to return due to it being
defective - mirror would 'freeze' in the up position, even after I changed
batteries.  I tried this camera out, and was impressed with the it's
capabilities.  Even as an amatuer - in the extreeme - I was able to realize
the advanced nature of the metering, and flash capabilities - although at
my level of experience I'd be hard pressed to take advantage of all the
features.

Right now, I have an OM-1n, with a few Zuiko lenses, and a few off-brand
lenses.  I am mainly involved with astrophotography, but I have recently
gained an interest in doing 'terrestrial' photography.  With this in mind,
I am considering a more 'advanced' OM camera.  I know Olympus appeals to a
certain niche within the photography world, but I would like to understand
what the philosophy is behind the choice of OM vs. others.

What spurred this on is that I have a friend with a nice Canon setup.
A2-e.  I have seen the results.   His is certainly easier to use for candid
shots, and action photography - auto-focus can be a nice thing - but I
would not think that he'd get as good a result from situations requiring
long exposure, or advance metering.  Am I way off here?

I'm hoping that perhaps some of the more dedicated Olympus users might
provide some insight into why they like Olympus vs. other camera systems.

Regards,
Dan M.