Re: [OM] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Split the list

Subject: Re: [OM] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Split the list
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 05:15:34 EDT
In a message dated 10/8/98 11:08:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
SGOGGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Here's an idea:

 ALL OF THIS IS IMHO!!!

 Lets split the list into two seperate lists. >>

I agree, at least in theory. Except I think it's the nature of these beasts
(news groups, too) that things will tend to move off topic now and then. While
there have been a few unfortunate incidents lately on this list, overall I
usually find *most* of the off-topic discussions entertaining and informative.

One of the things I find myself doing is only reading the threads I am
particularly interested in *real time*, and read the rest in the digest when I
have the time.

On a related note, somebody sent this to me recently, and thought that at
least most of it was applicable:

The Ten (Email) Commandments

- Thou shalt include a clear and specific subject line.
- Thou shalt edit any quoted text down to the minimum thou needest.
- Thou shalt read thine own message thrice before thou sendest it.
- Thou shalt ponder how thy recipient might react to thy message.
- Thou shalt check thy spelling and thy grammar.
- Thou shalt not curse, flame, spam or USE ALL CAPS.
- Thou shalt not forward any chain letter.
- Thou shalt not use e-mail for any illegal or unethical purpose.
- Thou shalt not rely on the privacy of e-mail, especially from work.
- When in doubt, save thy message overnight and reread it in the
   light of the dawn.

And, here's the "Golden Rule" of e-mail:
- That which thou findest hateful to receive, sendest thou not unto
   others.