Re: [OM] Olympus RD

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus RD
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 05:46:56 -0400
Mark Hammons wrote:

>With the recent thread about the older Olympus
>P&S type cameras, I decided to try to acquire an
>Olympus RD.  I found one at Ritz Collectable cameras
>for about $120.  It arrived yesterday but it did not
>come with an instruction manual.
>Could someone who is familiar with this camera
>tell me how the metering is supposed to work?
>It appears that you have to use it in shutter-prefered
>mode and set the aperture ring to "A"?   It seems that
>the exposure is read when you  partially depress
>the shutter release -- is that true?   Also, it seems that
>the light meter does not work or does not give correct
>readings unless the aperture is set to "A".

You're correct. In Auto mode the meter displays the aperture it will
select (shutter speed priority). In manual mode the meter only shows
the settings you've made on the lens, but it's up to you to decide
which settings give any 'correct' exposure. This info would come from a
handheld meter, or by using the aperture setting from Auto mode as a
guideline.
Also check out the flashmatic system on this camera. When you set the
GN of your flash on the camera, it will calculate and set the correct
aperture, depending on distance. You must set the aperture ring at the
flash symbol.

Hans