Re: [OM] Polarizers

Subject: Re: [OM] Polarizers
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 04:08:47 -0700
ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx writes, quotes:

>foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< . OTF auto would be fine with a normal polariser as
> there is no intermediate mirror during exposure. >>
>
>Be careful here.  The OTF will give correct exposure in Auto Mode.  But, the
>actual shutter speed could be up to 2 stops slower than is read in the view
>finder.

Don't you mean the actual speed could be up to two stops *faster*? My
understanding is that the combination of a linear polarizer and a beam
splitter may result in *less* light reaching the sensor, making the camera
think it is darker than it actually is. When OTF takes over, it sees the
actual light, and will always expose less (faster) than or equal to what
the sensor had read.

This is a nuiscance, but it seems to me that you could "peak" your meter
reading by rotating the polarizer, take your spot meter readings, then
re-adjust the polarizer for the effect you want. I'd give it a try, but
it's 4AM (insomnia...), and there's no convenient source of polarized light
handy...

I routinely use a OM-4t with linear polarizers, and have not noticed
exposure problems. I imagine the exposure problem exhibits a sharp dip,
much as the effect seen through a polarizer does, and thus it is improbable
that you will experience the worst case. Am I just lucky, or is this whole
thing just a plot by camera makers to get us to replace our polarizers? :-)

I think we're all obsessing over a minor issue. As with photography in
general, understand what the light is doing, and take it into account when
using your equipment. And if you're convinced you need to drop $50 or so on
a new circular polarizer, send me your old linear one -- I'll use it!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229