Re: [OM] T32 Flash operation with OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 Flash operation with OM-4Ti
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 07:31:37 EDT
In a message dated 10/8/98 8:02:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sean@xxxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< I'm sorry for this basic question but the whole system was 2nd hand and
 no manuals were provided (yes I have questions on the OM-4Ti too
 especially the memory/clear lever). Also as metioned before, my past 17
 years of flash photography has been completely in program mode.

 Thanks in advance for your assistance,
 Sean >>

Sean,

Until you get your manual from Olympus, here's a quick OM-4 primer

AUTO MODE, CENTER WEIGHTED: set aperture, bar-graph display indicates shutter
speed. Setting memory lever causes the OTF exposure to be memorised the next
time the shutter is released.

AUTO MODE, SPOT METERING: Pressing SPOT causes a single spot metering to be
made. A small fixed diamond indicates the reading, as does the bar graph.
There is a (potentially) moving diamond indicating the instantaneously read
spot level. If you press SPOT again the new reading is also memorised,
indicated with a fixed diamond and averaged with the first spot reading. The
bar graph indicates the averaged exposure. Another moving diamond appears,
again indicating the instantaneous reading... You can repeat this for up to 8
stored readings. If you press the SPOT button a ninth time the first reading
is lost. Setting the memory while spot metering causes the exposure to be
retained, even after the shutter is released. Otherwise your reading(s) are
lost when you release the shutter.

HILITE/SHADOW - These buttons basically apply exposure compensation. The
HILITE button provides approximately 2 stops over-exposure, and the SHADOW
button about 2 stops under exposure, causing whites to be white and blacks to
be black, respectively. (The amounts of compensation aren't exact - I forget
the actual values. Check the archives).

AUTO MODE, FLASH: Select aperture to show an indicated shutter speed of 1/60
or slower. Make sure T-series flash is set to TTL mode (turn calculator panel
over to blank side or set to manual (slide switch all the way to the left).
Red LED in lower right corner will light when the flash is charged. After
exposure, the LED flashes if exposure was OK. "OVER" and "UNDER" indications
on the LCD panel will light up as appropriate. If the LED stays fully
illuminated the flash probably didn't fire because a shutter speed faster than
1/60 was required. Exposure should still be correct. Don't ask me about Super
FP flash...

MANUAL MODE, CENTER WEIGHTED: Shutter speed set is displayed. Bar graph
indicates exposure. Correct exposure (according to the meter) is indicated
when the bar graph is between the two arrows.

MANUAL MODE, SPOT METERING: Similar to above. Shutter speed is displayed. Spot
readings are indicated by diamonds, bar graph indicates averaged exposure.
Take your spot readings then adjust aperture and shutter speed as desired to
center the bar graph between the arrows. HILITE and SHADOW buttons apply
compensation as above.

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI