Re: [OM] Olympus 35RD -- an eB*y Godzilla!

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus 35RD -- an eB*y Godzilla!
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 20:25:47 -0500
>Dear Zuiks/Zuikettes:
>
>The following Olympus 35RD rangefinder auction on eBay:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=33512731
>
>was bid up to $180.50 (!), without even reaching the reserve price.
>At least 5 bidders bid $150 and up.  WOW!!!
>
>There is clearly a pent up demand for this little wunder-camera.
>I wish I had half a dozen of them right now :-)
>
>Cheers,
>

>/Gary Schloss.
>Studio City, CA

As I posted earlier, I just picked up an RD in EX++ condition from
Ritz Collectable cameras this week for $120.  It turns out that the
meter indicator is off and that it probably could use a shutter
mechanism cleaning and new foam.

So, I TOOK it by Photosphere repair center late this afternoon
( a big advantage for an Oly fan living near Dallas!) and had it looked
at by a technician, who also happens to own an RD of his own.
He's gonna give it a complete overhaul and put in new foam.

Unfortunately, they are so behind in repairs that it takes 6 to 8 weeks
to get repaired -- I'm already counting the days!  So I'll end up having
a little over $200 in it and I think it will be well worth it.  I've already
grown to love it from the few days I had to play with it!

Mark Hammons

P.S. =>

I was the second highest bidder on the above-mentioned eBay auction
of the RD earlier today.  I was highest bidder until within the last minute
but my internet connection was too slow to allow me to up the bid to $200,
which I just missed by about 2 seconds.

 DOH!

If I had gotten that camera, which was rated to be in MINT- condition and
with no mechanical problems at all -  I would have just returned the one that
I am getting repaired to Ritz Collectable cameras.  So yes they ARE popular
cameras.  They were apparantely also NOT marketed in Japan so the
Japanese collectors may be after them -- which usually means high bidding!