Re: [OM] Olympus 35RD -- an eB*y Godzilla!

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus 35RD -- an eB*y Godzilla!
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 06:45:39 -0500
>   I've had a couple of RD's over the years and they were good cameras; but, I
>think $120 - $200 is rediculous for this camera. Until a couple of years ago
>when they began to acheive "cult" status, you could buy these things for $50
>all day, which is about what they are really worth. I'm afraid our beloved
>Olympus cameras are going the way of the Leica. When the Leitz/Minolta CL had
>been out for a few years, you couldn't give them away on the used market. They
>were derided as what they were, cheap rangefinders - like the RD - with
>Leica's name put on them to try and compete in the growing P&S category. Now,
>these CL's are bringing between $400 and $1000 dollars on the used market. Go
>figure.
>    Sorry for the rant but this is a hot-button issue with me. Any sense of
>intrinsic value of goods has been lost these days. And we are just adding to
>the fuel by paying these rediculous prices for things.
>
>Jim

Well, then I wish I had bought one for $50 a few years ago! :-)

I COULD have passed on the $80 overhaul at photosphere but
I tend to be a perfectionist.

I think the main thing that makes the RD attractive is the fast (F1.7)
lens and the almost silent shutter.  It should make a great theater
camera.

Mark Hammons