[OM] splitting the list? No, cut down on drivel!

Subject: [OM] splitting the list? No, cut down on drivel!
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 10:38:12 -0700
Before we split the list, can we get people to turn off HTML and huge
signatures? My guess is that 900f us are using text-based mail readers.
Sometimes close to half the digest comes in as either a complete repetition
of the poster's message, only laden with HTML tags, or huge "geek"
signatures, full of pictures, public keys, etc.

As a digest reader, I'm concerned more with bulk than number of messages. I
realize real-time list readers have other concerns. And I'm not trying to
single out anyone for their excessively long messages -- indeed, if you're
using some of today's "bloatware" Internet packages for email (Netscape or
Internet Exploder), you might not even be aware that you may be sending
over twice as many bytes as nessary to make your point.

Requisite Olympus content: thanks to those of you who protested the
sacrilage of chopping up an Olympus bellows to convert to tilt/shift use, I
just bought a Vivitar bellows on eBay to do the experiment with. I'm
probably going to try some "hand-held" experiments first, as I'm worried
that the exit pupil of most lenses isn't big enough for very much shift.
(My dreams of wide-aperature inches-to-infinity with the Zuiko 80/4 may
remain dreams...) I'll keep the list posted.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229