[OM] OM-G, OM-4 questions + misc ramblings.

Subject: [OM] OM-G, OM-4 questions + misc ramblings.
From: "claude batmanghelidj" <claudeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:16:29 -0700
Fellow Zuiko-heads,

    I just purchased an OM-G (20).  I thought it would do TTL flash, but
apparently not.  Yet, it has the sophisticated OTF metering of the other OM
cameras like the OM-2.  What is the point of this if not for TTL flash, or very
long exposures?  It's a really nice camera except for two design cock-ups.
When on manual mode it tells you the shutter speed required but you must then
look at the shutter dial to see if you have the correct one or not.  You should
be able to see in the viewfinder if the set speed matches the required speed.
This design flaw is truly silly.  My only other complaint is the lack of TTL
flash, which I wanted for macro.  I may sell the OM-G, to get an OM-4, which is
what I would really like.

    That brings me to my other question.  How much of a risk am I taking if I
get the non Titanium older version.  I don't mind replacing the batteries every
six months, if it saves me hundreds of dollars.  I'm kicking myself for not
getting one new, when they were only 6oo odd dollars, a couple of years back.
Anyway, is it just a drain problem, or does it get progressively worse to the
point where the camera is not usable?  Any advice on buying an OM-4 or OM-4 Ti,
would be appreciated.

    I noticed every now and then, someone posts their ideal OM-5.  I think it
would have built in 3fps motor like N90, vertical travel shutter to 8000 of a
second, with 250th second flash sync, matrix and spot metering, but still be
manual focus OM mount, with the shutter dial around the lens mount.  It would
be great if we could get Olympus to sub contract with Nikon to build it.  They
could definitely revive the Olympus pro market.  Then make the same version
with a digital back, now you're talking.  How hard could it be to have this
camera made?  They wouldn't even have to have Nikon make it.  The IS-3 is
pretty hi-tech, Olympus could make a really small version of the N90.  Oh well,
dream on I guess.  Contax has the right idea, they make really great cameras,
and the lenses are great.  For zuiko-philes there is still the OM-4.  I guess I
should stop complaing, and just dish out the cash for one.

    Maybe a few extra hours behind the wheel of the taxi next weekend.

Cheers, Claude.