Re: [OM] My "new" OM-1N and its focusing screen.

Subject: Re: [OM] My "new" OM-1N and its focusing screen.
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 21:02:07 -0500
At 10:45 PM 10/11/1998 +0200, Ingemar you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>I have been buying some OM things this weekend. I found and bought one
>camera body and two Zuiko lenses.
>The body was an OM-1N and the lenses was one 35/2.8 and one 100/2.8. I
>think I made a great deal as I bought all for approx. US$ 250.
>The body was in excellent condition and the lenses too.
>Included in the buy was an eye cup, Hot Shoe 4, metal shade, hand book
>for an OM-1, hard case for the 100/2.8 and front and rear caps.
>
>Anyway. What I noticed was that the focusing screen darkened when using
>shorter lenses.
>If I was using a 300/4.5 the screen was bright, when using a 100/2.8 it
>was slightly darker but still bright though, but it was much darker when
>the 50/1.8 was used and it was just horrible to use the 35/2.8. The
>focusing screen became very dark except for a small circular area at the
>center, it was even hard to see the meter.
>The screen had a circle and four lines (up, down, left and right) and
>each of these lines had another *very* close line next to it. The lines
>started from the circle and stopped before the center so a little spaces that
>I cannot use shorter focal lenses than around 100 to
>50 mm (don't know the exact length) and I am looking forward to get an
>even wider wide angle, the 24/2.8.
>Also, according to the hand book, I should be using the 1-4 or the 1-13
>for my purposes (from 24 mm up to around 400 mm lenses) as the 1-4 will
>darken only with the 20/3.5 macro (in which I have no intention to get)
>and the 1-13 darkens with the 400/6.3 and upwards including the true
>macros. Now, please corr good for me I
>think.
>
>Help and suggestions, please.
>
>P.S. I shot a few shots earlier today and, WOW... Man, what a feeling!!
>
>--
>Regards/
>  Ingemar Uvhagen
>  Gislaved, Sweden

Hi Ingemar,

Congratulations on the OM-1n purchase.  I locked my mirror up to welcome
you to the OM-1 club.

You might try moving your 1-13 screen from the OM-10 to the OM-1n.  I use
1-13 screens all the time and have not noticed the problem you describe.

Also is it possible that your wide-angle lenses may not be working properly
(i.e., aperture stuck in stopped down position)?

Hope you come up with the answer.

Regards,

Joel