Re: [OM] OM 1 battery choices - CLA-ed???

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 1 battery choices - CLA-ed???
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 21:01:34 -0500
At 12:25 PM 10/11/1998 -0700, Ralph you wrote:
>Joel Wilcox wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I've had all mine converted to 1.5 (almost all -- the last is with John H.
>> right now). But that's because I was having the cameras CLA-ed at the time.
>>  If you can find a reliable supply of Vartas, they do last a long time in
>> an OM-1 ...
>>
>> Joel
>
>Time for my stupid question of the week.  What is CLA-ed?  And is it time
form my
>OM-1md to visit John H. for this procedure?
>
>Thanks, Ralph

Hi Ralph,

CLA = clean lubricate and adjust

It's probably time, yes.  That's up to you.  My first OM-1 went through a
flood. I got it out with some water damage and it was "fixed" at the time
(1993) locally but wouldn't work with a winder at the slower shutter speeds
earlier this year when I was evaluating a winder for purchase. I'd just
heard about Camtech on the list, so I sent it off.

My second OM-1 I purchased for $50 with 50/f1.4 through our own Gary Reese.
For that price is was obviously sold as a fixer-upper but was good looking
and at that price I just put it in a box and sent it to John H. It's a
great camera, now.

The third one is with John right now. I picked it up on eBay.  The seller
was just moving it through and thought it worked correctly and when I
reported its numerous problems, we cut a different deal.

I guess my philosophy is that almost any OM-1 is going to be needing
service, no matter how it looks. Within reason I try to buy them cheap,
knowing that they are going to go right to the shop for CLA. I'm not a
collector per se, so I don't buy them for any reason other than to use them.

Camtech's warranty is six months, which gives you time to give them a
workout. I don't know about the other shops.

Sorry for the long answer.

Joel