Re: [OM] For sale on eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] For sale on eBay
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 19:35:04 -0800
>Garth Wood wrote:
>
>>In cruising eBay, I found a Zuiko 50mm F/1.4 lens, advertised as "new in
>the box" for auction at:
>>   http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=35050007
>>Just a heads-up, though I don't know how meaningful this is: the lens is
>pictured with a silver filter rim and a serial number in the low 200,000
>range.

John "Falcon Eye" Austin points out:

>I would use caution. Take a look at the pictures again.  The lens may be new,
>and the box may be new, but that is not the correct box for that lens.  The
>box is for an MC lens and the lens shown is a G.ZUIKO.  The correct box
>would be labeled G.ZUIKO, the same as the lens.

Of course, both Garth and John are absolutely correct.  A sharp-eyed
Zuikoholic may also have noticed the non-OLY rear lens cap.

This is yet another warning to the cruising Zuiks that "turning tricks"
on eB*y is risky business.  eB*y Virgins beware!  That nagging pain in
your derrieres, ... uhm, I mean: in your wallets :-), is often a sure
sign that you got SCREWED! :-)

P.S. For Zuiks craving a TRULY new, in-box, never used, multi-coated
50mm F1.4 lens, complete with all original packing and paperwork --
please contact me off-list.  I have one such lens, serial #1047xxx,
for sale.

P.P.S. Recently, we had a discussion on the list re: Zuiko lenses'
serial numbers.  The conclusion was that each lens had its own "head
count", starting with 100001, and up.  AFAIK, only 50/1.8 and 50/1.4
ever reached into the 7-digits.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA