Re: [OM] Control Pack 2: fixed

Subject: Re: [OM] Control Pack 2: fixed
From: "Rand E. Tomcala" <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:02:45 -0700
Steve,
  I did my NiMH conversion before the FAQ and other references now
available.  I used all cells of both Varta 9V batteries.  The logic went
as follows:
        1.  Motor Drive can use both M15v and M18v power supples
        2.  M18v uses 12 cells - either NiCad or Alkaline
        3.  Alkaline run as high as 1.6v when new
        4.  12 x 1.6 = 19.2v
        5.  7 x 2 = 14 (#cells in two 9v Varta's) x 1.4 (approx full
        charge voltage per cell) = 19.6v.  I think "close enough"
        6.  With a little juggling, it fits (a big test)
        7.  It works ! (Mine about 2 years now)
        8.  This configuration gives more output (more cells) and is much
        more "user friendly" (NiMH cells) and weighs less.  It sounds   like a
better fix to me.

note:  In step #6, one of the Varta's must have 2 cells "unfolded" for
space  configuration.