Re: [OM] Challenge

Subject: Re: [OM] Challenge
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:16:37 -0700
Having shot with work-a-day sports photojournalists, I can easily see two
factors at work which do not bode well for Oly.  First is the amount of
punishment the equipment takes.  Big, fast glass getting bumped and
thumped - hard and often.  Bodies taking the four foot drop test, and
passing.  Life is harsh and short for pro gear.  There is little
appreciation for fine craftsmanship and even less for exquisite design.  The
second is automation brings home the bacon.  Even though many shooters turn
auto focus off when shooting action, a lot of them leave it on as well.
Auto-exposure, auto-focus, auto-ISO setting, auto-loading, auto-rewind,
matrix metering, follow-my-eye focus, etc.is more than just bells and
whistles.  When your ability to put bread on the table depends on a
correctly framed, focussed and exposed shot, every little bit helps.
Between the two, it is small wonder Canon and Nikon rule the pro ranks.

As much as I would like to see OMs 5 & 6, I'm not holding my breath.  It has
been too long a period of "not yet" already.

John P