[OM] OM and AF

Subject: [OM] OM and AF
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:25:37 +0000
I think we are seeing a divergence in 35mm SLR design, with the likes of
Olympus and Leica (and, to some extent, Contax) remaining with 'old-tech'
models, while Canon and Nikon are developing AF technology and fast,
wide/long zoom lenses for the working pro.  Not all working pro's need this,
but they may well be in a position where they require some of the features
some of the time, therefore they use that kind of system.  Olympus' product
cycle is much slower because it is not competing with Nikon & Canon;  in
fact, it's not really competing with anyone.  The cost of developing an
OM5/6 would not be returned in sales, and the OM3/4 are both great cameras.
It would stand to reason that the cost of developing an AF line would be
prohibitive, and probably foolish, considering the stranglehold of (and
intense competition between) Canon & Nikon in this market.

I think that the likes of Ken, who require certain features in their cameras
to make a living are in a different position to the rest of us.  I don't
have any real need for AF, and would rather stay with a familiar product.  I
can't get excited about an OM5/6 since I wouldn't be able to afford it, and
would not be likely to benefit from the features such a model would provide.

Simon E.